Wednesday, December 4, 2019

The Holiday No One Should Need

I am that guy this year. It is an unwritten rule what things are and are not okay to discuss over Thanksgiving dinner. I was the one this year to break that rule. In my defense Thanksgiving dinner this year was just myself (the only child) and my parents. My family is spread out across the United States with certain portions of it having meals from coast to coast (literally California and Florida).

Our Thanksgiving meal has been quite small since we moved to Michigan, sometimes consisting of friends other times it is just the three of us, and our vacuum otherwise known as Magic our golden retriever. Meal conversations cover a wide array of topics often football/sports related, or random topics that can come up in conversation such as if my mother was going to be in the Olympics what sport would she compete in.

This year, however, I brought up a topic that in most households would fall under the "not okay to discuss" list. I have never been quiet about my opinions and the stronger I feel about certain opinions the louder I tend to get. This year I touched a topic that I feel might reach more tables than just my own.

"Why is Thanksgiving necessary?"

I may have said this 6 pieces of turkey in, and my mom may have first laughed it off, but I was serious. My dad who has gotten quite good at reading when an issue or a topic is something I am serious about, went silent. He looked at me and asked me to elaborate.

Now don't get me wrong I believe that Thanksgiving is a great holiday and it can teach us a lot about the history of this country. I am just not sure why it is required. When you ask people their favorite parts about Thanksgiving the responses are family, food, friends, time off, relaxation, and unfortunately lastly, giving thanks.
Image result for take nothing for granted"
My challenge is why is a day needed for this. If you want to be with your family and friends DO IT! Go be with them! Spend a weekend or even just a meal with the people in your life you love. Don't wait for a day once a year to let them know you love them and how blessed you are to have them in your life. If you need to relax then relax. Understand how precious our time on this earth with people we care about truly is.

Give thanks all the time. I am guilty of this probably more than most. In today's society it is so much easier to see the negative side of things, the why nots, the what I don't have. I challenge you to take a step back. Realize what you do have. What you are thankful for. Do not wait for one day a year.

Not every day is guaranteed.
Image result for giving thanks quotes"

1 comment:

  1. ❤️ it! Spot on! Your comments are a great reminder for all of us. And, I love your quotes.

    That being said, if I can take your observations in a completely different direction, i’m Not sure the rationale entire holiday is anything more than a sanitization of American history. From the perspective of many Native Americans, the holiday symbolises centuries of land seizure and the erosion of tribal cultures.

    Uncle Craig

    Some Native Americans accuse the US and European settlers of fabricating the entire Thanksgiving story, and, since 1970, many tribes participate in a National Day of Mourning

    ReplyDelete