Sunday, January 26, 2020

08/23/1978 :8/24: 01/26/2020

I have always heard the 24-hour rule. After a game, practice, event all of the above no matter how it goes wait 24 hours to make a big decision or speak your mind. Do not let the emotions of a moment get to you.

I hate that rule. And while it has saved me time and time again, I have always felt the rawest of emotions are the truest. The ones you haven't sat and thought about for 24 hours. 

24 has a different meaning today. I sit here numb. I grew up watching sports. They shaped and continue to shape who I am today. 

One of the first professional athletes that I grew up villainizing was Kobe Bryant.

For some reason, I was a Celtics fan at that point in my life. And Kobe just rubbed me the wrong way. As time went on and I moved on to love my beloved Heat and Dwayne Wade, I learned more of who Kobe was. I learned the drive he had, the work ethic, the fact that he was traded on draft night. I learned that this guy from Philadelphia, PA was someone to look up too. 

This is the first time that an athlete that I quietly looked up to has passed away. More so someone of this magnitude in my generation has passed away. 

The feeling is different, it slows everything down. You realize how quickly everything can change. Life is so precious, and so many of us are just going through the motions. 

The average life expectancy in the United States in 78 years. That is the average, but none of those years are promised. It sounds cliche but what would you change about your life if you knew when your time was up? What risks would you take? Who would you want to spend time with? Where would you want to go? Image result for kobe bryant quote

One thing I began to admire about Kobe Bryant as his playing days came to end. Was that he chose to reach back to the next generation in the NBA. Making a difference, impacting, and teaching them not only about skills on the court but also off. Maybe this is one final mamba lesson. 

I challenge, NO I IMPLORE YOU to live life in a way that takes advantage of every minute. Because not a single one is guaranteed.

No comments:

Post a Comment